There can be much confusion about the cost of a funeral and many stories about costs from well-meaning people.
Following is information about funeral costs to assist you.
Whether your preference is for a low cost funeral conducted with simplicity and dignity or a more elaborate funeral involving various services and arrangements, we are here to help you. We will discuss with you the type of service you require and provide you with an estimate of the total cost of the funeral in advance. You will always know what the funeral will cost with no hidden extras
We can assure you that we provide excellent service at an affordable price.
As a proud Toowoomba family owned company, we are able to keep our overheads lower than the big businesses and multi-national companies, therefore passing these savings on to you.
At Heritage Funerals, we do not offer set packages as we know families find this very impersonal and inflexible.
Put simply, we prefer to offer complete choice and flexibility which allows families to choose the options that best suit their personal and financial needs.
We suggest you peruse the information below and then contact us to discuss your individual requirements and the associated costs more specifically before you make any decisions. Our expert funeral consultants are ready to help you, to discuss the various services, options and costs that best reflect your wishes. Please feel free to contact us for an obligation free quote at any time.
Our Pricing Guide
As a guide, most of our funerals tend to be in the vicinity of….
* Cremation service held in our Heritage Chapel including Our Professional fees, “Drayton” coffin, clergy or celebrant fee, funeral notice, flowers, cremation fees and certificates, and our complete Multimedia bundle.
* Dual Service held in a Church and then proceeding to the Crematorium or Cemetery including Our Professional Fees, “Drayton” coffin, clergy fee, funeral notice and flowers.( Clergy fees do vary)
For cremation add an extra $677.00 for the cremation fee and certificates.
For burial add an extra $2550.00 for the plot and interment. Cemetery prices do vary.
Approximately $5,600.00 plus cremation or burial fees
* Simple Cremation service held in our Heritage Chapel including Our professional fees, “Drayton”coffin, clergy or celebrant fees, cremation fees and certificates.
* Essential Cremation service where there is no funeral service attended by mourners however an opportunity for a viewing is included. Includes Our Professional fees, coffin and cremation fees.
* Conditions apply #all prices inclusive of GST.
The style of funeral service, casket or coffin choice, burial or cremation fees and a host of other costs we pay on your behalf (disbursements) are combined to make the final cost and will vary depending on what your requirements are.
Our Funeral Directors Fees and our Multimedia bundle includes:
- The support and guidance of our professional staff who provide you with the highest level of care and service. Available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- Meeting with a Funeral Consultant either at the funeral home or in your own home to arrange the details.
- The provision of accredited funeral home facilities including the use of our Heritage Chapel and Heritage Tearoom for refreshments if required.
- Transfer of the deceased from the place of death into our care. There may be additional fees if the transfer is required after hours or travel outside the local area.
- Mortuary care of your loved one by experienced and qualified staff.
- Time for quiet time or a viewing of your loved one.
- Provision of all necessary staff on the day of the funeral at each venue.
- Supply of one white stretched hearse. Our Motorbike hearse at no extra fee. Horse- drawn hearse available at an additional charge.
- Liaison and arranging bookings with clergy/celebrant and churches.
- Liaison and arranging bookings with the cemetery or crematorium.
- Liaising with all third parties, eg florist, caterer, printers, musicians and other providers.
- Preparation and supply of all recorded music.
- Copyright cover for all printed and recorded material.
- Support and advice after the funeral service including our 4 part Continuing Care series of books sent to you over the first 12 months ( opt out available) and an invitation to our Christmas Remembrance service.
- Our membership of Australian Funeral Directors Association and the National Funeral Directors Association ensures you are being cared for by professional and compassionate funeral staff at all times.
- Professionally produced Order of service leaflets.
- Production of Photographic presentation (DVD slideshow) if required.
- DVD recording of the service for funerals held in our Chapel.
- Provision of a Memorial Book which will record friends and family in attendance
*Conditions apply to the above
There is a range of other options available for your choice. The fees are set by the various suppliers.
They may include: Clergy or Church fee, Civil Celebrant fees; Flowers or petals for coffin, church or graveside; Organist or Musicians, Vocalist; Newspaper notices; Mass booklets and other printing requirements; Catering expenses, Venue hire, Media and other equipment hire for some venues.
We pay the suppliers directly on your behalf to simplify the arrangements and include these on the one invoice for your convenience.
Please note that while all care was taken in placing these costs and fees on our website and were accurate when posted they may vary at any given time. We recommend that for a more accurate estimate that you contact one of our funeral consultants. Our consultants are available 24 hours a day and can meet you at our funeral home or at your own home with no obligation or cost, to talk about arranging or pre-planning a funeral.
Catering in Heritage Tearooms
Our tearooms provide a convenient way to share refreshments and memories with family and friends. Please note we do not charge a room hire fee or minimum numbers.
Menu 1 $10.00 per person
- Freshly brewed tea and coffee, orange juice.
- Selection of sweet slices and cakes
- Freshly baked pikelets with jam and cream
- Selection of hot finger food
Menu 2 – as above with sandwiches $13.50 per person
Fresh fruit, nuts, dip and crackers platters to serve 20 people $35.00 per platter
Other venues and catering options are available, please talk with our consultants for suggestions and advice.
The Coffin or Casket Fees
The choice of a coffin or casket is a personal choice and the cost will vary according to your selection. The price depends on the type of construction, quality, finish and fittings of the coffin or casket. Please see our Coffins and Casket range under the Arrange a Funeral heading.
Cemetery and Cremation Fees These fees are set by the various cemeteries and crematoriums and are the same for all funeral directors.
As there are at least 40 cemeteries and several crematoriums that families are able to choose from in this region, please call us for more specific details of the costs in your preferred cemetery or crematorium.
When all arrangements are finalised, we can then confirm all the costs and issue an account. By itemising all the expenses on the one account, it makes payment as simple and convenient as possible.
The funeral account can be paid by cash, cheque, credit card or direct deposit. Funeral expenses can also be paid from a deceased person’s bank account if there are sufficient funds available by presenting the funeral account to the bank, regardless of whether probate has been finalised.
The person who signs the authorisation for the funeral is the person who is legally responsible for the payment of the funeral account. If a family member pays the account before the estate is finalised, that person is entitled to be reimbursed from the estate before distribution of the assets.
As there are many costs involved in the funeral arrangement, we ask you to carefully consider your own financial circumstances and make appropriate selections so as not to cause further distress and hardship. Our aim is to help the family in any way we can so please discuss any concerns with us.
We understand that a funeral service presents a necessary but often unexpected financial expense. To ease any additional strain, we are able to offer funeral finance to help with the burden of paying for funeral expenses up front. It is simply a payment plan with no hidden fees which spreads your payment over 12-36 months. Aged pensioners, self-employed and wage earners with regular employment of at least 30 hrs per week all qualify. A deposit is required. (Simple conditions apply with fast approval)
Depending on your circumstances, you may be eligible for a government bereavement allowance which could help with funeral expenses. Centrelink will assist with allowances and offers a variety of payments for eligible clients, such as Married, Carer or Sole Parent Pensioners.
Bereavement benefits vary and include the Baby bonus for pregnancies over 20 weeks.
For more information on individual situations, we recommend contacting Centrelink on 132300 or visit the website at www.centrelink.gov.au
If the deceased was an ex-serviceman, the Department of Veteran’s Affairs may provide assistance in time of bereavement. Free 1800 113 304
Other payments may be available through:
- Insurance policies
- Private Health Funds
- Victims of Crime Compensation Unit
- Third party insurance
We advise you to contact the relevant department or organisation for more information and the necessary application forms.